Monday, June 16, 2014

The Start of a Blog

Welcome to the WPI Men's Rowing Henley Trip 2014 Blog; A blog that will cover events and stories from the upcoming Henley Trip.

Before I get started with posts that you would actually want to read, I wanted to start this blog with a little introduction of myself and brief synopsis of what to expect with this blog. I am 'Coach' Cavanaugh, Assistant Coach for the WPI Men's Rowing Team. This is my 5th year volunteering as an assistant coach for this program. Prior to coaching I was a rowing member of WPI team during my student years. I will also point out at this time that I received my Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering in 2008. I reiterate that I am an engineer and that the stereotypes of engineers not being able to write are true. And, unfortunately, the only men's coach on our staff with an Arts degree (Coach Noble) has bigger priorities, so you are stuck with me. But I will try to have guest posts from either other members of the coaching staff, our coxswains, or our rowers. That way you won’t really be stuck with "my" blog and you will be able to get multiple perspectives on our trip.

The main purpose of this blog is to showcase our trip to the world, or at least to the friends and family of WPI Rowing. I want to provide those who could not attend a better picture of what we're experiencing over there. This will be accomplished with written stories, detailed events/results, and plenty of photos. I also want this blog to serve as a historical record of the trip, so that in many years time our family, friends and we can look back on it and reminisce. I am going to attempt to update the blog every day or every other day, but I'm not sure how busy or tired I will be. Although I won’t be the one rowing, so I guess I don’t have an excuse. Also another flaw of being an engineer is that I will be able to document the events and happening fine but I may not be able to "paint the picture" that some of you, the readers, will want. Again I will rely on the rowers to share stories and give a different perspective on the trip. They might even be able to explain how the flowers look and smell over there.

I hope you are as excited about this trip as we all are. So once again, welcome to the WPI Men's Rowing Henley Trip 2014 Blog.

-Coach Cavanaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment